Friday, September 30, 2005

All's Well

I took Abby to the hospital yesterday to get her lab work done. She did amazingly well. I, on the other hand, came this close to passing out. Sadly, it wouldn't have been the first time I've passed out in a doctor's office. I went crashing down when I went with my sister to get her stitches removed a few years back. I hadn't been feeling all that great yesterday morning (allergies), and I realized on the way there that I hadn't eaten anything all day and it was almost noon. When we got in to the phlebotomist's office, she told me that they'd be drawing Abby's blood from her arm. I was expecting another toe poke like her doctor had done the day before. For some reason, it made me really queazy to know that Abby would have this done like an adult. While the phlebotomist was getting things ready, she said that every once in a while she gets a baby who doesn't cry at all.

Sure enough, Abby laid there perfectly still while they dug around looking for her vein. I've never seen her lay that still before. I could feel myself getting hot and nauseous while they were looking for a vein, and it only got worse when they decided to switch arms. When I got to the other side, I knew I was about to pass out, so I asked her for a drink of water. She directed me to a water fountain just outside her door. My vision was so blurry by then that I almost didn't make it all the way there. When I got back in, Abby was crying which helped wake me back up. Thankfully, they were finishing up by then. The phlebotomist said she didn't start crying until the very end. She was fine once I was able to pick her up.

We got the results back today, and we're happy to report that everything came back normal.

1 comment:

Maureen said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only fainter! When Connor had to have a lead test, they had to take 4 vials of blood out of his toe, and the more that nurse squeezed it, the worse I got (it didn't help that his blood was all over his foot and the floor). I finally had to leave the room and sit down under a vent so that I wouldn't pass out. Glad Abby's tests turned out well. There is something about them taking blood that is so much worse than watching shots.