Tuesday, June 20, 2006

We got home Sunday afternoon, but I've been to tired/busy to post. One thing I forgot to mention when Abby was sick last week is that she cut her first molar, so that's why she was under the weather. We have her first doctor's appointment here tomorrow and I can't wait to find out how big she's gotten.

We had a great time in California with my family. Abby's in the middle of a word explosion right now, so she's constantly picking up new words. While in California, she learned to say "Grandma" although it comes out "Nena."

The graduation went off without a hitch, and my sisters are now officially high school graduates. Sniff! I can't believe they're grown up already. After, we went to dinner at Coco's (they were the only ones without a wait), and poor Abby was nodding off in her high chair. It was after 11:30pm by the time we got back home, so she crashed as soon as she was in the carseat. She was so tired that she never woke up when I got her out, changed her poopy diaper, and got her dressed in pajamas! That has never happened.

Abby also had her first playdate out there. I got together with a girl I went to high school with (who's name is also Brandi) who has a son a day older than Abby. She actually has 3 kids: a 9-year-old girl, an almost 3-year-old girl, and the 18-month-old boy. Abby walked in like she owned the place and immediately took to the younger kids. They all had so much fun together! Abby kept hugging both kids, and when it was time to leave she wrapped her arms around the boy andwouldn't let go. It was adorable! She usually only hugs Damon and me and won't go to other people.

We also spent the night in Puerto Nuevo in Baja California. We spent most of the afternoon at the pool which Abby loved. After, we did some shopping while Abby was crashed in her stroller. At dinner, she got to try pineapple juice which she loved (but she won't eat pineapples!), and she ate quite a bit of my carne asada (steak), rice (but she wouldn't touch the beans), and almost 1.5 shrimp. She had her first taste of shrimp when Jake and Rita were here, but she only ate a couple bites then. This time, she couldn't get enough of it. Oh, she also ate a slice of cucumber and a green onion (although she mostly "brushed her teeth" with the onion). She behaved beautifully the entire way there and back, about 3 hours each way.

The flight to California was as uneventful as can be with a toddler. We got to the airport 2 hours early, but by the time we finally made it to the gate we only had about 10-15 minutes before they started boarding! Every middle seat on the plane was empty too, so we had room to spread out. The only problem was during landing when I had to put her back on my lap. She wanted to keep playing in the seat next to me, so she became fussy. It was nothing like the flight home, though. She was pretty moody while she was running around the gate for a couple hours before we boarded. I constantly had to chase her away from behind the gate counter. I kept thinking that airport security was going to swoop down on us anytime and haul us away for being back there! The flight home was full and we were in the very last row. She became extremely fussy when our row filled up so she had to sit in my lap. I had such a hard time keeping her from kicking and pushing the seat in front of us. I was about to cry thinking that this was going to be the nightmare flight I've always feared. I had visions of her being like that the whole way home. Thankfully, she had played so hard at the gate that she fell asleep right before takeoff and didn't wake up until the guy next to me was getting off the plane!

No comments: