Thursday, January 20, 2005

Happy Birthday Abby

Abby turned one month old Tuesday. A whole month has gone by already! Before we know it, she's going to be all grown up. I wish there was a way to stop time, so she could stay a newborn forever. At the same time, though, I can't wait to hear her call me "mama" or for her to start sleeping through the night. There have been so many changes in her already.

She started off as a little blob that we couldn't wake up to eat. Now, she can’t seem to get enough to eat. Unfortunately, she's developed acid reflux. She was in a lot of pain for a while. She wasn't sleeping well, she was upset more and more. I finally decided to take her to the doctor last Friday and she was diagnosed with reflux, so now she's taking Zantac three times a day. What a difference that has made! She still has her fussy times where she's inconsolable, but she spends most of her awake time happy and alert instead of in pain. She's gone from this:



To this. I know her eyes won't stay this color, but aren't they gorgeous? They are so blue.



Have I mentioned her gas? Oh my god, this girl has the worst gas I have ever heard, or smelled. She could seriously give John a run for his money. When I took her to the doctor, I thought it was her gas that was causing so much pain. I think her gas has actually become much more stinky since the zantac. This is one of her gassy faces. Sorry these are so blurry. I had my legs up, and she was sitting on my thighs, so they're super close shots.



Finally, here's one I wish she'd do more of. She does sleep a lot, but she's so loud it's hard for me to get any sleep. She grunts, farts, and moves around all the time. It's rare for her to sleep more than 10 minutes without making some noise. Being a first-time mom, I jump at the slightest noise. It's getting easier distinguishing her "I'm sound asleep and just like to make noise" from her "hey, I'm awake. Feed me!" noises, though.



I wouldn't trade motherhood for anything in the world, though. Damon has been hearing parenting stories at work from staff and his residents, so we know we have a relatively easy baby. We are so lucky to have a beautiful, healthy baby. Hopefully, this month we can start figuring out some sort of schedule. It's been difficult to juggle life and having a baby, so I'm sorry if you don't hear from us as often as you should. We can't wait to see what wonderful new changes the second month will have in store for us.

No comments: